SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
well_drained

Which volunteers to keep?

well_drained
17 years ago

First, some background: I am establishing a very naturalistic, 'wild' native plant garden in my yard (3000-4000 square feet) using the oak-chestnut-hickory forest flora as my guide, with dry-mesic woodland, open woods, woodland edge and savanna as microhabitats. There is no grass lawn, only a wood chip path and a little wood chipped area with adirondack chairs.

Pre-existing trees are: Quercus sp. (2 white oaks, 2 red or black oaks next door), Robinia pseudoacacia (black locust -technically not a native in Mass.), and a pair of wild black cherries (Prunus serotina).

Shrubs plantings include: Amelanchier canadensis; Vaccinium corymbosum and V. angustifolium, Viburnum dentatum and V. acerifolium; Gaylussacia baccata (black huckleberry); Kalmia latifolia and K. angustifolia; Rhododendron prinophyllum and R. periclymenoides.

Herbaceous and subshrubs include: Gaultheria procumbens, Mitchella repens, Maianthemum canadense and M. racemosum; Actaea pachypoda and A. rubra; Polygonatum pubescens, Geranium maculatum, Aralia nudicaulis, Lycopodium sp., Goodyera pubescens, Thalictrum thalictroides, Elymus hystrix, Carex pensylvanica; Aster divaricatus.

In the sunnier areas: Lysimachia quadrifolia, Erigeron pulchellus, Fragaria virgina, Hypoxis hirsuta.

Vine: Parthenocissus quinquefolia (Virginia creeper)

Ferns: Polystichum acrostichoides (Christmas); Dryopteris marginalis (marginal wood); Osmunda claytonia (interrupted)

Over the years, I've been identifying native volunteers and trying to decide whether to keep them or not. I'm interested in your opinions, given the above description:

Viola papilionacea (common blue violet)(and a white violet)

Solidago caesia (wreath goldenrod)

Aster cordifolius (blue wood aster)

Bidens frondosa (beggar ticks)

Rubus sp. (brambles)

Phytolacca americana (pokeweed)

Lobelia inflata (Indian tobacco)

Potentilla simplex (common cinquefoil)

Juncus sp. (path rush)

Tradescantia virginia (spiderwort)

Thanks,

wd

Comments (5)