Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
IDing native grapes

Posted by blueridgemtngrl 6b (My Page) on
Thu, May 8, 08 at 10:40

Does anyone know of a good site to find grape IDs? I have an easement on my property where a spring comes up and have discovered lots of small starts of grapes. I am thinking they may be riverbank grapes based on their location, but obviously I need a guide so I can ID them.

I have found some others on the property not growing near water...

They are on the small side and have no flower buds, so they may be too young to ID, but at least I can bookmark the site for the future.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: IDing native grapes

The site in the link below came up as #1 on Google search of wild grapes. It is interesting that their measurement tool has Indiana Geological Survey on it.

You might try Google with wild grapes and your state and see what you get.

I have some, but the grapes themselves are so small I have never considered getting an ID for them...now I might try, since you posted.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: wild grapes at vineyard in Amherst County, Virginia.

o

If you have black muscadines, my wife, originally of southern (NC) origin, will buy them from you by the crate.

o

They may not be all "small starts". I have muscadine and as the runner creeps all the ground, it sends up shoots periodically. I can grab one and pull up a whole bunch at once.

o

I don't think it is a muscadine... I took this pic with a flash because it is really overcast and raining.

unknown grape leaf

Hope someone can help. I checked out the suggested website but am still not sure. Could it be that young leaves aren't the same as those on a mature plant?

Thanks!

o

Muscadine leaves are thin and glossy both top and bottom. In Maryland they are only found in the eastern half of the state and not very common. They do not have a peeling bark, your pic is not muscadine.
If you're lucky you have V. labrusca or Fox grape. Leaves thick, firm and with light colored felt on bottom. For us grapes are blooming now. Your state may have 10 or more grape species. Only the two mentioned above are edible. Grape vines are dioecious, if you have a vine with only male flowers there will be no fruit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here