Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salty soil groundcover?

Posted by scott_h z5 OH (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 07 at 10:45

I have what may be an unusual situation.
I am on a well and septic tank, but because the leach bed failed several years before I moved in, an aerobic septic system was installed. I have been told that you can not discharge water softener salt into one of these systems. So the softener has been discharging at the top of a north facing slope of a ravine beside my house.
I had noticed and been perplexed by the lack of growth in this area until I realized we have been salting the hill for years now. The large trees are still present so it is shady but not much undergrowth. There is a lot of exposed soil.
Assuming for now I can not move this discharge point. I am looking for salt tolerant plants to put in this spot. I have heard Red Buckeyes and Kentucky Coffeebean Trees are salt tolerant. But I do not know of any ground covers I can use. My first concern is erosion control. Any ideas are welcome.
Thanks Scott

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salty soil groundcover?

The following plants are salt tolerant.

Arctostaphylos uva-ursi (Bearberry)
Erica spp. (Spring Heath)
Hemerocallis fulva (Daylillies)
Iberis sempervirens (Edging Candytuft))
Lotus Cornicielatus (Trefoil)
Potentilla (Shrubby Cinquefoil)
Symphoricarpos albus (Snowberry)
Vaccinum and cvs. (Blueberry/Cranberry

o

Bearberry is a great suggestion. salt tolerant groundcover, great for erosion control, native, has edible berries.

Other suggestions
Prairie Dropseed (Sporobolus heterolepis)
Creeping Juniper(Juniperus horizontalis)
Large Cranberry (Vaccinium macrocarpon)
Beach Pea (Lathyrus japonicus)(Nitrogen fixer, lowers)
Big Bluestem (Andropogon gerardii)
Sweet Fern (Comptonia peregrina) (Nitrogen fixer).
American Beachgrass(Ammophila breviligulata)

o

Just for information, I don't think Lotus Cornicielatus (Trefoil) is native here.

...but thanks for the suggestions. I love rocky outcroppings with low growers like many on your list.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here