Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bad Luck w/ Pink Evening Primrose

Posted by miss_huff 7 (My Page) on
Sat, May 30, 09 at 11:02

I am obsessed with Pink Evening Primrose (not the yellow - the shorter, pink -- I don't know if it's a true primrose, but I think that common name is correct. Some people call them 'buttercups.').

I bought seeds and planted them in spring, and nothing came up. There was no frost after I planted.

I am planting in an all-sun area around rocks.

These are growing and blooming beautifully all over the highways here in Atlanta right now. I've been trying for years! I see them mostly along roads and at abandoned houses. That's why I thought they'd be easy!!

Do these not like to be transplanted? A neighbor offered me some of hers, and I took her up on it -- I planted about 10 I got from her yard, and it looks like about 1 might make it.

I can't do seeds, I can't do transplants.......What's the best way??

Also, I planted my seeds under a good bit of pine straw. Do you think the pine straw kept them from sprouting?

There are a lot of slugs in this area (or something!!) -- when I plant pumpkin vines here, they're usually gone in a day or two.

When I dug up the plants at my friends, I never found much root to come with the plants.

Thank you!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bad Luck w/ Pink Evening Primrose

Are you talking about the pink flowering trailing type? This will probably make you feel worse but I planted this once from seed and thought I would never get rid of it after it became invasive. Every single little piece of root, which were brittle and broke easily, would grow a new plant and lots of it was under a rock path. I had to lift the rocks to dig it out. So, on that note, I would suggest that any roots you can get planted underground may just make it finally even if they die back on top and you think the plant is dead. I had to practically sift the dirt to get it all out. It does go into shock after transplanting but I really can't believe some of it won't take hold after what I experienced. Wait and see because I bet some of it will come around that you planted. I see these plants in nurserys often but not Home Depot or Wallmart type of places. I wonder if you got some bad seeds since they really do come up easily?

o

Ha!

Yes, that's exactly the type!!!!

See, I hear stories just like yours -that's why I thought I'd get at least one!

But I'm so glad you wrote. Yes, I will ignore the 'shock' that these are in - their ugly state -- and I will just assume that ONE will come back next year, and THEN I can allow it to spread - I think they spread by root, underground.

This is in a spot just like you describe --- there is 1-2 ft of ground between my front porch and a rock retaining wall -- ugly, blank space, and it would look GREAT with these there.

I would LOVE them to spread.

I think I did get some bad seeds. I got them off of ebay. I did nothing wrong.

Good - like you say, surely something will work for next year.

I've never seen them at nurseries -- good, I'll look.

Thanks!!

o

Try again. Start the seed in seeding mixture in those little pots.Read the instructions,as some seed require light to start and cannot be buried. An easy, terribly invasive plant that takes over. I started some for my daughter's house and each year most have to be torn out. She loves them for their color and low spreading nature. They have never transplanted well for me.

o

I had never really thought of this as being a native, but see that it is, per the link below.

I planted one small plant years ago, and it spread over the years to probably cover 20 square feet or more, as it is in a bed, and I weedwack off any that escapes the landscape timbers.

A friend was wanting some, so yesterday I cut a bunch of it way back, and am now letting it recover before digging it later for him. Right now all it looks like is stems with no leaves.

If you find later in the summer that none from your neighbor made it, you might try it again, but cut them back to about 4" or so after planting them. I sprayed mine with Round-Up years ago, but missed some of them, and now I can't tell that they were ever sprayed. They managed to choke out a small Blue Spruce Juniper.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Oenothera speciosa

o

• Posted by cjc45 9 Mount Dora FL (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 5, 09 at 23:16

I never had to plant them, they used to come up in the lawns in early spring when we lived in Austin. We and our neighbors used to mow around them til they finished blooming, then they got mowed with the rest of the lawn. I know that some spring wildflowers need to be sown in the fall. They can then germinate when it's right for them.

o

I have neither problems with invasiveness . They are just right. I think they do like a soil that drains and one that is not too lean and rocky. They want some topsoil to work with, not much but some.. I sprinkled seed and the rest just happened. Later I found plenty growing in the tall grass way out on the road. I don't think that then like it too dry. I live in texas so dry is relative..

o

Hello!

Maybe that is it -- like Bogturtle said -- I planted them about 1/3" deep, which means they didn't see sunlight. And , I had pine straw covering the soil. Maybe they just didn't see light. I just didn't want them to blow away!

Now, I have a slug problem: In this area of my yard, above a rock wall, NOTHING will stay. I transplant gourd vines, and they're eaten w/ in days. I plant sunflowers there, and the seedlings are chewed to stubs w/in days.

Now, these HAVE survived! You all were right - they were in shock, and I can tell that some are going to make it! But they're being chewed!! Slugs??

What can I put out to protect them from slugs, or whatever else is chomping out big bites? I can't put out beer cans - this is the very front of the house!

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here