SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eshore21814

Small tree BELOW ground

eshore21814
14 years ago

Hello native lovers. I could use your recommendations once again.

In the last two years, in the old farm field out back, I've planted dozens of natives including Viburnums, Amelanchiers, Lindera benzoin, Morella caroliniensis, Ilex, Nyssa, etc. It's an ongoing project that I love.

But I'd like to start planning out the more formal landscaping nearer to the house, and there's one area that has me stumped. There's a spot between the road and our well where I'd like to plant a small native deciduous tree or perhaps shrub, with a lot of ornamental personality. The purpose of this planting would be for a bit of privacy from the road - doesn't have to be complete privacy, just enough so that eyes of people driving by will focus on the tree/shrub first before looking further into the house windows (and hopefully thay will have driven past before they get a chance to get a good look into the windows!).

I've fallen in love with Amelanchiers and would consider one here, but am concerned about root spread toward the well. The distance would be about 40'. I've read that root spread of trees can usually correlate to the crown spread AND I've read that, contrary to popular belief, root spread often goes beyond crown spread. There's loads of information out there about how big something gets ABOVE ground but very little about how big something gets BELOW ground.

So what trees/shrubs do you recommend? Would an Amelanchier work? I am in Maryland zone 7a, have sandy soil, and drying winds in winter. The spot is very close to the road (little traffic though) with full sun from mid-morning on.

I look forward to hearing what you have to say; you have always steered me in the right direction in the past!

Comments (3)

Sponsored