Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wild ramps or leeks

Posted by sspye z5b/6a S.E. MI (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 08 at 11:45

Anyone know their preferred habitat? When to hunt for them? Is is the same time as morels?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wild ramps or leeks

Hunt for them? Where ... on your property? I imagine there are internet articles on harvest ramps.

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Tue, May 13, 08 at 10:03

Wet.
Now.
Yes.

o

Order some, or plant seeds and grow your own.

Here is a link to where you can order ramps and ramp seeds:

Here is a link that might be useful: Ramp Farm

o

Beckly West VA. has a ramp festival every year. I do know you cook them out side. and from what I have seen a good time is had by all. Most I have seen are wild and thrive well once established. good luck

o

I've just discovered that I have wild leeks growing on my property. I've been here eight years and just now learned what it was. (I posted on "name that plant".)The confusing part of it is that by the time the flower scapes show up, the leaves are gone, so I never put the two together as one plant. It's interesting to know that people go "hunting" for them, and I have them for free. But I've never tried one...not sure I want to.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here