Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help identify a humble little plant?

Posted by stoloniferous 6 (My Page) on
Wed, May 14, 08 at 12:12

I'm in Massachusetts, zone 6. My backyard is forested and swampy. In the shady-but-not-muddy areas, there is a humble little plant that put up heart-shaped leaves this spring. Each leaf springs individually from a root or stolon that creeps along below the leaf litter, and each leaf is only a couple of inches long.

This same plant now appears to be putting up clusters of leaves, each with a flower in the middle.

Photobucket

Can anyone identify this plant? It grows alongside jack-in-the-pulpit, jewelweed, and poison ivy. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help identify a humble little plant?

This looks like False Lily of the Valley aka Canada Mayflower - Maianthemum canadense. It is pretty common here in PA.

o

Yes Canada Mayflower, a very common native woodland groundcover. They make delicate little white clusters of flowers that are very fragrant.

These are growing in an evergreen border in my yard, I was delighted to find out they were native!

o

Fantastic! Thank you!

o

Anyone know how dry this little plant can stand? I've been offered some, but the place I have for it is under a large holly tree, which works like a big umbrella. I've built up the leaf litter over the past couple of years, so that may help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here