Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newly planted chokeberry's leaves turning, dropping

Posted by butterflygal21797 z7 MD (My Page) on
Sat, May 31, 08 at 12:18

Last weekend I purchased and planted a red chokeberry (aronia arbutifolia 'Brilliantissima'). Two days ago, I noticed that almost half the leaves had turned a reddish yellow (from pictures I've seen, this would appear to be the fall coloration). The plant wasn't droopy or unhealthy looking. Today, many of those leaves have dropped, and more appear to have changed color. Has anyone else experienced this after planting this or another shrub, and should I be concerned?

I watered the shrub well when I planted it, and again several days later (after I noticed the change in coloration). It was not rootbound when I removed it from its pot for planting; the roots looked healthy and vigorous.

Could this be a normal reaction to the stress of having the roots disturbed during the planting process?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newly planted chokeberry's leaves turning, dropping

I have had the same thing happen with one of three new Aronia Autumn Magic I purchased last week while still in the pot. I thought perhaps it was the cold snap we had earlier that caused the change (mine turned orange). Did you have a strong cold snap earlier while they were in pots?

Sharon

o

I just noticed that several of my small sourwoods, two to three feet tall, have developed drooping leaves. We have had so much rain recently that I thought maybe that was the reason, but my Aronias look OK. Is there a mildew/fungus thingie going on due to the weather?

o

We've had a wet, unseasonably cool spring so far here in central Maryland, but right after I planted this shrub, we had several days of hot, dry weather, so maybe that has something to do with it. The funny thing is that the leaves on the plant aren't droopy at all, ncrescue. They seem healthy, they're just changing color and dropping off. Plant definitely seems to think it's fall. I read somewhere on the web that transplant shock could cause leaf drop, so I'm hoping that's what this is, but since this happened to yours, Sharon, while they were still in the pot, it's hard to say what's going on.

Thanks for the replies. Guess we'll just have to wait it out and see what happens.

o

Or, when you planted it you got air pockets that kept the roots from getting waterred. It may make sense to get more water on them. I don't believe you can over water this genus so douse them good.

o

The same thing has happened to my 3 red chokeberries. The leaf color change (yellowish-orange) started before I had a chance to get the plants in the ground, so I was attributing it to stress. I too live in Maryland. At this point I will leave them planted and see what the summer brings. Soil was amended; good drainage; twice weekly watering; a little fertilizer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here