Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coral or Goldflame honeysuckle

Posted by hummersteve Indy (My Page) on
Tue, May 8, 07 at 12:22

I have been searching all the garden centers and nurseries and online centers for either of these plants. I would like an opinion. I found both online for about $10 but it cost $12 shipping 16% of the order but you have order at least $25 worth at this one place, these are in quart pots. Now I found the goldflame at a local nursery in a 2gal pot for $40. Is this any where near a fair price for this plant? Which is the best way to go?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coral or Goldflame honeysuckle

I think a 2 gallon honeysuckle for $40 is way overpriced. I'd expect more like $20. Maybe if the plant was Coral Honeysuckle - lonicera sempervirens - and was a really nice robust plant $40 would be worth it, since I find Coral Honeysuckle starts out kind of slowly. Goldflame seems to be a faster grower when young. Perhaps you can find one or both of these plants in a friend's garden and take cuttings. A quart-sized plant is probably a year old, so cuttings would be a year behind the purchased plants, but they'd be free.

o

I have a Goldflame that is 3 years old now, paid about $28 for a half gallon sized plant. Last year it was pretty good, it looks to be magnificent this year-good luck but have patience-i think the free cuttings are the best deal, but if i knew the plant would turn like it seems to be, i might have paid more than i did.

o

Whether or not $40 is too high for a 2 gallon plant is a direct function of how badly you want that plant. Still I paid $35 each for 2 gallon mountain laurel, at a private nursery, a couple of weeks ago, which suggests $40 for another native of the same size is a bit above market.

I can tell you that a couple of years ago my local Sears Hardware had Coral Honeysuckle - lonicera sempervirens -- and at a very good price -- I want to say around $25 for 2-3 gallon size. I planted them late in October, and the darlings have completely hidden the hideous 1950's style railing that leads to my 100 year old stone house.

o

I recommend Brushwood Nursery for a great selection of healthy plants with free shipping on 2 or more plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brushwood Nursery

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here