Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Elderberries, questions

Posted by leokat75 OR, zone 8 (My Page) on
Thu, May 8, 08 at 12:37

I am wanting to plant some Elderberry. Ideally I have room for one BIG (eventually BIG) Elderberry. The problem comes in I have read mixed reports on whether or not these are self fertile. Ideally I want to plant the PNW native blue Elderberry. Does anyone have experience with these or know whether or not one single plant would produce fruit.

I can squeeze in two plants if it is needed for fruit, but do they need to be two different varieties? I assume not otherwise the natives would never fruit in the wild, hence the information I have been given that I "need to plant two different types" is confusing me. I have books and nursery sites that are all in disagreement.

Also, if anyone grows the native blue Elderberry, how is it? Have you made wine or preserves with it? Any feedback on how the flavor compares to the other varieties?

Thanks
Kat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Elderberries, questions

Not sure about Elderberries, but with some plants - Blueberries being one - it's not that you need two different varieties it is that you need two that are not from the same gene pool. When buying blueberries, the easiest way to do that is to get two different cultivars (thereby, the two different varieties) because you know they are genetically different. I have a wild Elderberry and it does set some fruit, but not a lot.

The following link does say for Elderberry:

If growing selected clones for the fruit, you need to plant at least two different cultivars for cross pollination.

Or you can have one named cultivar and one species plant. You might find this article helpful, it speaks about cultivars to some extent.

It's not that you have to get cultivars, as I said that is just an easy way to know that you have plants with genetic differences. The real key is that you need your plants to bloom AT THE SAME TIME or at least have overlapping bloom times. If you don't, there is no way they can help each other.

Here is a link that might be useful: Floridata

o

I don't know if they are self fruitful, but I do know with the kind that grow in the east you can't have just one... they colonize rather quickly, even in less than ideal growing conditions like I had in Chicago. They really can't be squeezed in. Maybe those in the west are different.

Blue Ridge Mountain Girl

o

I know that is the case, they will spread. The area I have set aside is good sized, plenty of room for ONE to spread out and colonize, but TWO plants that will both spread and colonize would end up being a "squeeze".

o

I have a Sambucus canadensis (American Elderberry), and it produces a lot of fruit. I only have 1 and there's no other in the neighborhood, probably even in town☺ Be aware that when it spreads, or colonizes, it appears 6 ft. or better from the main plant base.

o

That's funny. I have one native one, it was here as a small tree when we moved in in 2003 (it's taller now) and it has never thrown up a sucker. Blooms and sets some fruit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here