SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirl_wt

wooded wetlands and stinging nettle

dirtgirl
16 years ago

Hey all. I usually do most of my posting over at the Wildlife Garden, but I figured this might be better suited for the folks over here in the Natives area.

We own 20 acres of wetland forest...only two smaller bluff areas with the rest being floodplain. We are lucky that an additional 100 acres of property bordering ours has, for the most part, been left alone and only some cleared for farming. There are several oaks that would require three people to reach around, but they are in fencerows and were spared the axe. The rest is secondary growth, with the average tree being maybe 30 years old. My question is is this:after the trees, by far the most predominant growth on the forest floor is stinging nettle. It's nothing but a vast ocean of the stuff.

Would a wetland forest of a century ago look like this, or have components been lost over time? Obviously the trees would have been different, but would the nettle still have a monopoly of floor space?

THis isn't earth-shaking, or terribly important, but just something that I've been considering lately. So many people just accept what they see as how it'a always been and never know the difference. What, you mean Japanese honeysuckle and autumn olive haven't ALWAYS been here...? What is left for reference/comparison anyway? There is so very little left of the native landscape here in SOuthern Illinois. Only if you go visit the rare places like Beall Woods on the Wabash or some of the prairie reserves do you realize how much is missing.

I accept the nettle carpeting my woods as just the way things are, and yet I wonder what else might have been there years ago.

Comments (8)

Sponsored