SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
well_drained

Native Screen?

well_drained
15 years ago

We have a small-medium sized backyard with a 6-foot cedar fence enclosing it, two white oaks, a black locust, a Prunus serotina and a lot of native shrubs and herbaceous plants - mostly a woodland, but parts are sunny enough to be a savanna/woodland edge habitat. Very naturalistic look - like a walk through the woods on a winding wood chip path.

DS looks out the window and all she sees is the neighbor's above-ground pool on the other side of the fence - and it really bothers her a lot.

The question? DS wants me to plant a fast growing evergreen plant to screen out the pool. I've been looking at Thuja (arbor vitae) and Pinus strobus, although I can't recall ever seeing the native Thuja in local woodlands - white pine is everywhere, though.

The area where the screen planting would go does not have any trees nearby - the black locust (which I realize is not native to my area - that's another post) is about 30 feet away.

If I have to do a screen, I want it to be native and consistent with the look and plant community I've established. I'm just not sure what to do. Do any GW folks have any advice for me?

- wd

Comments (5)

Sponsored