Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trillium ovatum vs. Trillium grandiflorum

Posted by guaira_8 8 (WA) (My Page) on
Tue, May 6, 08 at 14:32

Hello there! I need some help identifying a plant... some absolutely beautiful trilliums came with the house we just bought, and are in full bloom right now. They were initially very, very white, and have now started turning pink/purple. They were most likely planted by one of the previous owners, because some of them are in places were they clearly cannot have remained untouched when the house was built and the yard was landscaped. I looked at the information online for Trillium ovatum and T. grandiflorum and was not able to find what exactly distinguishes one from the other. Any information will be much appreciated! Also, if pictures may be helpful, just let me know what it is that you need a picture of (e.g flower, bracts, scape, etc.), and I will post them online.
Thanks,
--Felipe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trillium ovatum vs. Trillium grandiflorum

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Tue, May 6, 08 at 15:59

Trillium catesbaei does that too (white to pink). They are "nodding" and have reflexed petals.

My grandiflorum are starting to get pink about now... never "purple" though.

o
RE: Trillium ovatum vs. Trillium grandiflorum

In all likelihood what you have is T. ovatum which is a western native whereas T. grandiflorum is native in much of the eastern half of the U.S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here