Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery volunteers

Posted by Liz321 6 - Detroit Metro (My Page) on
Thu, May 2, 13 at 14:34

I have a small Hosta bed that produced a surprise patch of trillium, now this year, it seems to have several more volunteers.
One is blooming and I have id'd it as Dutchman's Breeches. I am not sure what the two in this picture may by. The ferny leaves don't quite look the same as Dutchman leaves, but I'm not certain.

I can't find them in my searches on native databases, but I'm fairly certain they are native woodland dwellers in Michigan as I have seen them in the deep northern woods. The fact that they are showing up in my Metro Detroit area back yard is fun. I want to make sure to take care of them properly.

Any ideas? Also, I transplanted the Hostas from my mother's house and she was plant collector.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery volunteers

The spotted laf is erythronium, or trout lily. The finely disected leaf looks like Dutchman's breeches (dicentra). The other one in the bottom right is a weed, henbit.

This post was edited by mosswitch on Thu, May 2, 13 at 18:39

o

• Posted by Liz321 6 - Detroit Metro (My Page) on
    Thu, May 2, 13 at 19:32

Thank you!! I knew it was something cool, but I haven't seen it in decades, so I couldn't remember. I was out weeding today and took a close look. It is EVERYWHERE in the bed. Now I will be watching everything that pops up to see if it is a native plant or endangered.

I cannot believe I have trout lily, trillium and Dutchman's breeches in my little back of the garage bed!! The henbit is already gone. :0)

o

The trout lily will probably be completely gone, dormant, in a few weeks. But it will come back next spring! Kind of remember where they are so you don't dig them up accidentally. They don't need any care but might they might need to mature for a year or so before they bloom. All those wildflowers will go dormant for the summer.

Sandy

o

• Posted by Liz321 6 - Detroit Metro (My Page) on
    Thu, May 2, 13 at 22:17

That is just fine since the Host will be taking over the bed soon! :) I will mark them for next year. Thanks!

o

You must have brought in some rich soil from elsewhere that had those things in it. I agree, good stuff!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here