Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small River Birch?

Posted by momliz 7a VA (My Page) on
Sun, May 19, 13 at 14:42

Does anyone know if there are dwarf River Birch cultivars available? I would love to have one for its wildlife value, but I don't have the room for a tree. Or are there shrub birches that would do well in my Virginia yard? z7a and probably heading towards z8.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small River Birch?

If you don't mind mail order, Rare Find Nursery in NJ has two smaller varieties. A good source for rhodies, azaleas, native and unusual plants, really know their stuff, and (need I say it?) one of my favorite nurseries. (No, I don't work there and don't own stock in the company ;-)

o

Be advised, the roots from those things go everywhere.

o

They are shallow-rooted trees, and, as their name implies, they do like water, but mine is still playing nicely with its neighbors in the garden. A word to the wise, however, is never a bad idea.

I am currently taking a course on trees & shrubs for our region, and some to avoid. The instructor has cautioned us that the clump river birches are bound to become a problem years down the road, as they are meant to be single-trunk trees. The multiple trunks will compete with each other and eventually some will fail ... and fall. Well, where was he when I was picking out my beloved 'Heritage'? There is a huge, multi-trunk one about a mile from my home, so if my tree fails, I don't think it will be in my lifetime. Gorgeous bark.

o

hmmm good to know about multiple trunks - logical when you think about it. I have found two small birches - Duraheat and Fox Valley. Now to decide between the two.

Thanks for your help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here