Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowers/Plants not Blooming

Posted by yogamama (My Page) on
Mon, May 19, 08 at 15:48

Hello,

I purchased a few different flowers from a local nursery and they had blooms on them when I purchased them. Since transplanting all fo them, they are not blooming (or growing much) at all. Is this typical? Did they go dormant? The ones I purchased are Creeping Phlox, Aster's, and then some ground cover plants: Ajuga, Plumbago and Mazus.

This is my first year doing plants and flowers (normally I just do vegetables and herbs) so I am not sure if I am doing something wrong? Thanks for the help.
Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowers/Plants not Blooming

Most plants have a limited bloom time. Once they are done for the season, they are done. But if they are perennial, they will bloom again next year. That is why people usually get a mixture of plants so that they can have blooms at different times.

o
RE: Flowers/Plants not Blooming

Sometimes flowers get a little cranky after transplanting but they will probably bounce back next season. Watch out for that ajuga, it can be very aggressive. I just looked up the creeping phlox and confirmed that its normal bloom time is coming to an end about now. If you can buy plants just before they bloom you will get more bloom time from them at your place than in the nursery. In any event, with perennials you should be o.k. next bloom season.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here