SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rollie_gw

Starting 2nd year of prairie resotration and some problem areas

rollie
14 years ago

I have 2 1/2 acres of short grass prairie and lots of forbs that was put in last march. I mowed religiously last year and for the most part, this area really looks good, with the exception of the clover from my yard moving out inot the restoration project. It started out about 3 feet into the area last year, and is now about 7-8 feet. How can I stop this from taking over my restoration project? Just the thought of spraying it with all of the existing forbs that are there, makes my stomach ill, but its too big to do anything by hand. I need to get it stopped, or its going to take over, I'm afraid.

I also have another plot (3a) of tall grass prairie, that was a meadow in a grove and had brome in it. I killed the brome and disced up the roots. I then planted Roundup ready soybeans in this area 2 years ago, so I could take care of the majority of the seedbank. We seeded the tall grass prairie at the same time as the short grass mentioned earlier, but it has no forbs. In this old meadow, the plant of the day for now, seems to be nettles, or itchweed as I called it as a kid, and bunch of big thistles.

I started spading the thistles with a dandylion spade this weekend, and got discouraged after about 5 hours out there and not gaining much ground.

Im pretty sure that I can take care of the nettles with the mower, just prior to it going to seed.

I could use chemical on this area, because it is grasses only, and no forbs.

Anyone have any ideas, before I go off and do something Ill regret.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting