Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Native mullein look-alike?

Posted by Shelley_R 7b NC (My Page) on
Sat, May 7, 05 at 18:24

Are there any native plants that look like mullein? I have 2 plants that I dug at a native plant rescue. Now I'm wondering what they are. They have the gray fuzzy leaves like mullein. Are there any natives that look like that? I just want to be sure before I pull them out. Thanks,

Shelley

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Native mullein look-alike?

Black eyed susan (Rudbeckia hirta) has fuzzy leaves.

o

I had a mystery plant finally solved after a year that may be your also. Is it Wild Comfrey (Cynoglossum virginianum)?

Here is a link that might be useful: Wild Comfrey

o

Esh, it's not Rudbeckia.

Brenda, I wasn't familiar with Wild Comfrey. Thanks for the link. But it's not that either.

The leaves are very large, gray, thick, and fuzzy. Unless I hear from someone else that can identify it as a native plant real soon, out it goes. I need the space for the native seedlings that I winter-sowed. Thanks everyone.

Shelley

o

Shelley, you can pot it up for further identification later (when it gets bigger or flowers). Some of us do that with our unknown rescues (so that if it turns out to be a bad thing we can toss it then). Can you post a picture of it?

o

My sister and I have been trying to identify our own Mullein look-alike. It was sold at a reputable nursery as lamb's ear. When it grew 3 feet in the last 2 months, it was clear we were not dealing with lamb's ear. It looks like the photos of Mullein that I've seen with the exception that it's blooms are light pink. I have read Mullein does have some new hybrids. Anyone have any thoughts?

o

How about this one?

Here is a link that might be useful: Pink verbascum

o

King devil? (Dandelion-like non-native.)

o

It could be Salvia sclarea which is an biennial, but behaves just as bad as Mullein. In West Coast states it is a noxious weed

o

Mullein (AKA verbascum) is a native, but you should let it bloom. If you don't like it, cut of the bloomstalk, then it won't spread

o

I determined that my plant was mullein, which is NOT native. It went in the compost bin.

Shelley

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here