Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue blooming trees in WV, KY

Posted by hardmanknot z6 OH (My Page) on
Mon, May 19, 08 at 18:59

I was traveling through WV and KY this past weekend along I64. On the route in the forests along the road I saw many large/tall trees which had a light blue/lavendar colored bloom. Can anyone tell me what these might be.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue blooming trees in WV, KY

They grow wild here as well and are very pretty. Hope someone here can ID them.

Blue Ridge Mountain Girl

o

Probably Paulownia tomentosa, an exotic invasive plant that is sprouting up wherever it can. Sometimes called Princess Tree or Empress Tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures here

o

Empress tree sounds promising. Sometimes you also might be seeing trees that have some wisteria growing up them. I see a lot of trees with wisteria on them around here even by some roadsides that look very neglected.

o

If the bloom is similar to wisteria (shaped like a cluster of grapes)they could be locust trees.
These are native to Ky and grow all over the place here.
They come in lavender and also white.
Right now April 24 they are full of bloom but have very few leaves.
The trees grow tall but not very big in diameter. You find them in uncleared areas because farmers cut them.
They grow fast have large thorns,causing injury to stock and people, and later in the year have long bean like pods. They have a nectar that is very sticky and drips on anything under it. They are also called honey locust.
The empress tree does not grow wild here and in my 52 years here I have never seen one anywhere.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here