Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Little White Flowers in the Lawn

Posted by evonnestoryteller 5-6 (My Page) on
Wed, May 14, 08 at 19:15

I began to wonder the other day as was lawn hunting. Wgat are those very small clumps of white flowers that come up in the lawn?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Little White Flowers in the Lawn

Bluets, Houstonia species. A lovely native plant trying to fit in with suburbia, ;).

o

Can I transplant them into my garden. I will have to mow sooner or later.

o

Yes, you can. Or wait until they set seed and then gather that and spread it in a new place.

o

Mine seem to grow the thickest where they get above average moisture and part sun, if that helps. They grow in areas that get quite a bit of sun and less water but tend to grow rather thinly.

BRMG

o

If they are in a lawn and doing OK, then they should survive mowing just fine, since they must already experience mowing on a regular basis.

o

I am sure they will survive to a certain extent, but they seem to be dwindling in numbers. The very back of the lawn I can mow high, since it is by a line of pines and does not look too bad. There are many patches of them there. (I am guessing 50 or more.) Right now in the rest of the lawn, it looks like two patches. Or perhaps too patches just managed to blossom enough to be noticed.

Besides all that, I think they would look nice in the garden. I just thought I would not move them if it would just finish them off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here