Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Large yellow lady's slipper

Posted by macheller (My Page) on
Fri, May 29, 09 at 20:33

I found a thread on GardenWeb forums about places to buy yellow lady's slipper only 2 days ago and now I cannot find it. Does anyone know a garden plant supplier that sells yellow lady's slipper preferably Cypripedium calceolus? If so, please help. There was a beautiful grouping of lady's slippers at my grandmother's house and I'd rather buy some for my own garden than try to transplant them from her home... I don't want to disturb their environment! Please help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Large yellow lady's slipper

You could try the sources listed in this thread: http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1007

Some of the links are dead, probably because they are for companies offering "rescues", which is a nice way of saying they bought land and dug up the orchids to sell. Others are reputable companies that offer Cypripediums grown from seed. You may have to wait awhile but laboratory propagated orchids will have the best chance of survival and do not impact wild populations.

I've been considering trying to grow this species in vitro. Will probably fail but might be fun to try.

o

I purchased all my ladyslippers from Vermont Ladyslipper Company.

They sell high-quality bare-root plants (though somewhat pricey, as are all lab-propagated ladyslippers) which are doing well in my garden. The cultural instructions they send with each order are an excellent resource for planting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vermont Ladyslipper Company

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 3, 09 at 11:15

Isn't calceolus the european yellow? Pubescens is the large native yellow, parviflorum the small native yellow.

Here is a thread w/ a bunch of sources listed old cyp thread

o

Depends on your source. Some authorities regard our large yellow lady's slippers as C. calceolus var. pubescens and the smaller one as C. calceolus var. parviflorum.

The Flora of North America project views our species as C. parviflorum and recognizes three varieties: var. pubescens, var. parviflorum, and var. makasin.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here