SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nativegarden08033

Planting ideas for east facing fence

nativegarden08033
10 years ago

We are 2 days away from removing a huge Norway maple on the NE side of our property.
It's immense and too close to the house, I feel sad to lose such a stately tree, but it's roots and the awful soil below are taking up a massive amount of our very small yard, it's invasive nature concerns me and I already have hundreds of its offspring to rip out this week.
The tree sits on the boundary line between us and our neighbors where there is a 4' fence, at the end of the fence is my garage
and behind that a row of mature spruce trees.
Once the tree is gone I would like to come up with ideas on how to mask the fence, gain more privacy and do this whilst adding a small native tree, either flowering dogwood or pansy redbud.
Along the fence I was thinking of starting with red twig dogwood as the "backdrop" but now not sure what else to build beneath and in front of this, I prefer shades of green and red VS something grown for a lot of color or show.
Soil is loamy and moist, there is still another Norway in my neighbors yard.. Time will tell what those roots decide to do on my side once my maple is down.
Any advice on plantings or design ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville