Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How deep can A. tuberosa roots be

Posted by ficus-spider-man (My Page) on
Thu, May 17, 07 at 21:12

I heard they have deep roots, What is the best way to remove them from inbetween a gurage and the pavement, I want to know in case new neighbors ever try to undo what I've done along my gurage. Planted, Butterfly weed, switch grass, brown eyed susean, and coneflowerm, among others in a garden. My dad is getting older and might sell the house in a few years.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How deep can A. tuberosa roots be

They can be deep, but it depends. The best way to get them out would be to thoroughly soak the area first. Moist soil makes it easier to dig and lift them out. Also, look at where the stem goes into the soil to see how the root might be oriented. Use a full sized shovel (not a trowel) and dig wide so that you don't accidentially chop off part of the root.

o

Have you see this exhibit?

ftp://ftp-fc.sc.egov.usda.gov/IL/techres/npg/NPGpp5-6-11x17.pdf

Though butterfly weed is not on that exhibit, some of the others that you listed are, the drawing does give one the idea about the depths of the roots of the native plants.

Butterfly weed is tap-rooted and will be probably at least as deep as the plant grows tall. (3' to 4' or more depending upon the soil and light conditions.)

o

It didnt come up

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here