Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lady Slipper orchid bloom time

Posted by dtclarinet z5 OH (My Page) on
Wed, May 25, 05 at 21:23

I'd like to see lady slipper orchids in bloom in Hocking Hills. When is their bloom time in central Ohio? I've heard they are done already in S. OH, except for some yellow ones. I hope to catch a few this week. Does anyone know a good source for annual info. on their bloom schedule?
thanks,
David

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lady Slipper orchid bloom time

Here in Northeast Ohio, Cyp. pubescens, acaule and candidum are just about prime (about 10 days later than usual). Around The Cleveland area, May 15th is prime for the above noted plus Isotria, and Galearis. June 15th (give or take a week) is prime for C. reginae, Calopogon, Arethusa, and some of the Plantanthers like leucophaea.

o

At Cedar Bog in Urbana, C. reginae usually blooms in mid-June. It may be a little later this year, though. It's best to call the place you are going to beforehand; someone there should be able to tell you when the blooming has started.

o

Can anyone tell me when they bloom in Connecticut? I was married June 10...and I know I carried them in my wild flower bouquet (with lily-of-the-valley, a bit of native laurel, buttercups and jack-in-the-pulpet) So I think it is too early to look for them in the woods...but I don't even see the distinctive two fuzzy leaves yet!
Don't 'ya just love this time of year!
Marie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here