Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
native plants with a long season of bloom

Posted by janet_e 6B PA (My Page) on
Fri, May 18, 07 at 21:26

I've been surprised at the number of native plants that bloom for a long time in the garden. My list of long-blooming natives is below. I'd like to hear about other native plants that bloom a long time.

Days of bloom is the average from the last two or three years in my garden in Philadelphia.

Verbena canadensis (rose verbena) -- 218 days
Hypoxis hirsuta (goldstar) -- 211 days
Dicentra eximia (fernleaf bleedingheart) -- 207 days
Corydalis sempervirens (pale corydalis) -- 191 days
Campanula rotundifolia 'Olympica' (harebell) -- 178 days
Rudbeckia cv. (black-eyed-susan) -- 128 days
Stylophorum diphyllum (wood poppy) -- 112 days
Heuchera villosa (alumroot) -- 100 days
Oenothera missouriensis (evening primrose) -- 98 days
Echinacea purpurea 'Magnus' (puple coneflower) -- 91 days
Aster divaricatus (white wood aster) -- 86 days
Coreopsis grandiflora 'Minima' (dwarf coreopsis) -- 85 days
Eupatorium album (white thoroughwort) -- 82 days
Callirhoe involucrata (purple poppy mallow) -- 82 days
Aster spectabilis (showy aster) -- 79 days
Ruellia humilis (wild petunia) -- 74 days
Liatris microcephala (blazing-star) -- 74 days
Chrysopsis mariana (Maryland goldenaster) -- 70 days
Aster laevis (smooth aster) -- 68 days
Solidago odora (sweet goldenrod) -- 67 days
Aster linariifolius (stiff aster) -- 60 days
Thalictrum thalictroides (rue anemone) -- 56 days

A couple notes: Hypoxis hirsuta blooms on and off, not continuously. Corydalis sempervirens is a reseeding annual in my garden, and some plants start blooming early, others later, but no individual plant is in bloom as long as 191 days.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: native plants with a long season of bloom

Wow! What an interesting list. I never thought about counting the days. My bleeding heart never lasts that long although sometimes it reblooms. I think our heat and humidity in the South makes for shorter bloom times...and the heavy rains that we occasionally get knocks off many blooms. One plant that I have that stays in bloom for a long time IF the deer do not eat it is Trillium cuneatum. It usually starts in February, and there are still a few showing now, although most have gone down. I will pay more attention this season. "How do I love thee? Let me count the ways"...er, days. Anyway, thanks for sharing.

o

WOW!! Great idea. I'm a novice perennial gardener, this is my third year. I've got some of the same plants, and some not on your list. I tend toward deer-resistant gardening! I'm going to count the bloom days this summer, and get back to you! I'm near Vancouver WA, but up in the Cascade foothills.

o

Ncrescue, thanks for letting me know about Trillium cuneatum. Now that I know it blooms a long time, I've put it at the top of my list of Trilliums to look for. As for the bleeding heart, mine are in a lot of sun, which is probably a factor in their blooming a long time for me. I find they do well in full sun, as long as their soil isn't too dry.

Agretz, welcome to perennial gardening! My method for keeping track of bloom times is a spreadsheet. For each type of plant I grow, I record the day it starts blooming and the day it stops. In another column, I subtract the first date from the second, and that gives me days of bloom. The spreadsheet can also be used to average the bloom time over multiple years. This system works really well for me. Having the spreadsheet to fill out means I pay more attention to my plants.

o

This list is very, very helpful. Thank you!

o

Is spiderwort (tradescantia) native? Once it starts blooming (it started last week in Michigan) it doesn't stop until a hard freeze.

o

Oxeye sunflower, Heliopsis helianthoides, is another -- big, bushy, full of yellow flowers for a couple of months or more.

o

These are plants that seem to bloom for a long time but I am not sure they are native though they do grow wild.
White violets bloom then stop them bloom again. Helleborus bloom for a long time. Spring beauty are still blooming although past their peak and they started in Mar. Ground ivy blooms continually if it is not shaded out. Fleabanes both common and daisy bloom a long time although the common starts blooming first. I think all of these flowers bloom at least 2 months which seems like a long time to me. This is an interesting list

o

• Posted by soeur z6b TN (My Page) on
    Thu, May 24, 07 at 22:02

Spiderwort (Tradescantia) is native. Hellebores and ground ivy aren't, although the latter has escaped and spread so much you'd think it is.

One of my favorite long-blooming natives is prairie or downy phlox, Phlox pilosa. Here in middle TN it begins blooming in late April or early May and quits sometime in July, depending on rainfall. It's fragrant, too. And unlike so many long-blooming plants, it lives more than a couple of years.

Another fave is Aster (now Symphiotrichon) oblongifolius 'Raydon's Favorite'. In my garden this cultivar begins blooming in September and keeps going until mowed down by a hard freeze, which is often late Nov.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here