Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellow Lady's Slippers, In full flower

Posted by fredsbog z5/6 NE Ohio (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 07 at 21:27

Went out with a friend this weekend looking for Cyp. pubescens in the Cuyahoga National Park and we found quite a few large and small clumps!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
The very large population that has been under study for a number of years has slowly been declining, A) because the park personnel decided it would be a good idea to flag each group...like placing a little dinner flag next to each plant for the deer to find. and B) the plants are in a rather active slump and the rains of last season did most of the population in.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Anyway we found several dozen clumps that are not in danger of being washed away and are not near deer trails. Just thought I'd share a couple of pics that I took while out.

I have noted that the sepals on these plants are quite a bit greener than the clone that I have in my garden (from Cyp Haven)but equally as lovely! Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
My Small White Lady's Slippers (to the right of the Yellows in the photo) will be blooming in the garden in a few days, I'll try to post some pictures of them as well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellow Lady's Slippers, In full flower

• Posted by nankeen z8b Gresham OR (My Page) on
    Tue, May 22, 07 at 20:01

Beautiful Fred! Do you know how many blooming stems there are in the area? Do you know, if you've been there before, what sort of fruit set % exists in the fall? It will be "interesting" to see if the bee decline this year will put Cyp fruit set down...

I wish mine looked that nice!

Best,
Ross

o

Ross, No idea how many blooming stems there are. The area is a lot richer than I thought. These populations are somewhat near to the populations I've been watching for 20 or so years but I've not been privy to these groupings before.

I will be keeping an "eye" on the plants to see what sort of capsule set there is, but Warren (Stoutamire) tells me that the plants are not pollinated by honey bees, but by bumble/carpenter type bees so the decline of honey bees should not affect capsule set. The larger question is: Will the deer leave the plants alone? I'll do my best to keep you posted!

o

Great photos. Thanks for sharing. Deer are a problem everywhere. I plant cheap hostas as decoy plants. It works except for early spring when the hostas are not up yet. Lost eight Trillium dicepiens this spring since they were so early.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here