SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debstuart1

moving trillium

debstuart1
15 years ago

I have a border which is along a cool stone wall - north facing with some sun and wildflowers such as bloodroot, sweet woodruff have done well here along with things like astilbes and heucheras, etc. In this border there are three kinds of trillium and while they don't spread, they come back each year and seem healthy.

On a couple of other places on my property I have trilliums which I did not plant and they are in shade but pretty poor and dry soil. I think in one place - a leafy but quite dry understory area - the trillium colony (burgundy red ones)is actually shrinking. This year there are seven plants, far fewer than the last couple of years. A large tree fell right in this area a year ago and they haven't done as well since.

My question is - can and should I dig at least a couple of these and bring them into the border where they might have more moist and slightly richer soil?

As for the other two lone specimens ( one white, one small pale pink) - they are in pretty barren soil surrounded simply by pine needles. I'm thinking that perhaps they might also be moved to a more hospitible environment. Or perhaps I should make changes to the soil around them right where they are as they are in a nice spot visually. (The red ones are down a bank and not visible)

I would appreciate ideas on this - including, if it is wise to move them, should it be done just as they are finished flowering and before they go dormant?

thanks for all advice

Deborah

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting