Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cypripediums full bloom in Ohio.

Posted by fredsbog z5/6 NE Ohio (My Page) on
Fri, May 23, 08 at 21:55

I visited Resthaven game preserve in Castalia Ohio Yesterday and thought I'd share a few photos of the small White Lady's slipper that grows there by the thousands, as well as a couple of the slippers I have in my garden.

First is a photo of one of the colonies of C. candidum. The tractors tear them up, they burn the Prairie every couple of years and the plants grow so well that they are as thick as dandelions. This is reputed to be one of the largest populations in the country, after seeing it I believe it!

field of C. candidum

Next is a small group of the plants, followed by one of the natural hybrids with C. pubescens var. parviflorum which is C. andrewsii. Note the dark sepals and the red around the edge of the pouch on the hybrid. The hybrids vary quite a bit some having a cream to yellowish pouch, but all having darker sepals.

Cyp. candidum clump Cyp. andrewsii

Lastly, here are a couple of photos of my Cyp. pubescens clump as well as my C. kentuckiensis. I have a nice clone of the small white but it won't be in bloom for another week because of it's location. As other orchids in the area bloom I'll add them to the posting.

C. pubescens C. pubescens close up

C. kentuckiensis

Cyp. kentuckiensis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cypripediums full bloom in Ohio.

Wow, gorgeous! No wonder people go a little nuts over these things!

I just put in a shade bed, and would love to grow these...but I have a hard enough time finding trilliums, let along ladyslippers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here