Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Natives that do well along a Sandy riverbank.

Posted by ficus-spider-man (My Page) on
Fri, May 18, 07 at 22:13

I found and cleared a riverbank in a city park, part of it is kind of a dry lawn that nevers get moewed it goes further and further to the river before a steep though shallow slope is caused by the river. Very very sandy and dry. Some willows grow there and I saw a black eyed susan amongst tons of knapweed. It died but I saved the young willow knapweed was attacking. The natives that survived were things like Common milkweed,Vargina creaper common aster, goldenrod and wild grape.

It was very weedy last year when I started filled with invasives. I pulled up all of the knapweed, clover and russian spruge and have planted Ironweed, brown and black eyed suseans, big blue stem, blanket flower, and purple partie clover, coneflowers among others. Today while checking I found the Brown eyed susan was wilting from lack of water, I watered it and saw that the purple parie clover had been damaged slightly. otherwise things look good.

Will these kinds of plants do well at this kind of site?
Also what kinds of natives to northern MN would do well in such a site?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Natives that do well along a Sandy riverbank.

The fact that a recently planted flower was wilting doesn't mean that the flower isn't suited to the site. It can take a long time for a new plant to grow enough roots to survive on its own without wilting. I think the plants you have chosen seem Ok for the site.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here