SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sugar_peas

Trillium and some other plant id help?

sugar_peas
18 years ago

Hello, I am totally new to the native thing and bought a house last year with woods as part of it. It seems like I have quite a few cool natives I'm finding. Can I post some links to pics and see if anyone can help? I'm not even sure if they are all natives. If they are, are these good ones?

#1 - trillium but can anyone tell me the variety/species?

http://www.candodesign.com/gj/trillium.jpg

#2 -?

http://www.candodesign.com/gj/yellownative.jpg

http://www.candodesign.com/gj/native.jpg

#4 impatiens ? - jewelweed

http://www.candodesign.com/gj/garden - 49.jpg

#5 what is the large shiny 5 lobed leaf? It's viny and all over our shade area.

http://www.candodesign.com/gj/garden - 47.jpg

Comments (17)

• tyrlych
    18 years ago

#2 - Chelidonium majus
    #4 - Impatiens
    #5 - Parthenocissus quinquefolia?

• razorback33
    18 years ago

# 1 Trillium erectum
    # 3 Arisaema sp. - Asian species, maybe elphas?

• Iris GW
    18 years ago

#1 is the wake robin trillium (Trillium erectum), #2 looks like celandine poppy (which I guess is Chelidonium majus as stated above), #3 is jack in the pulpit. Agree that #4 is jewelweed, a native impatiens. #5 is not virginia creeper, but I don't know, does the bloom go with it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Wake robin trillium

• sugar_peas
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Are the jack and the pulpit and trillium rare or anything? They are very cool looking.

the #2 celandine poppy - Chelidonium majus, is that one grown as a native or is it just a 'weed'? it's all over in my yard along with the woods. It's kind of cute now that I have seen it flower it's kind of cute, maybe I'll leave some in the perennial beds this year and see what I think.

#5 no the flower is from an astilbe. It didn't flower that I saw but we moved in June so I missed a lot of this stuff last year. The leaves get huge though, it's kinda nice but just curious. I'm kind of anal about knowing what everything is,

Thanks for the Ct Botanical Society link I am finding them all there. The Jack int he Pulpit is Arisaema triphyllum according to that site. I peeked this am and there are definitely more coming. I'll have to go exploring more in the woods today see what else I can find!
    Carrie

• Iris GW
    18 years ago

Not sure about your area, but jack in the pulpit is not rare here. We don't have wake robin trillium here, but it might be common there. We have catesby trillium here (I would say that is one of our more common ones).

Even if they are not rare, they are worthy!

As for celandine poppy, Stylophorum diphyllum was the name I'd always heard, so I don't know if this one is different or if the name changed.

• Judy_B_ON
    18 years ago

Stylophorum diphyllum and Chelidonium majus share the same common name. Stylophorum is native, Chelidonium is not.

They are difficult to tell apart until after the seed capsules form. Stylophorum has an egg shaped, hairy capsule, Chelidonium has a long thin bean like capsule.

Use the link below to search the USDA database for pictures.

If you would like to identify the plants in your woods, and know if they are native or not, buy Newcombs field guide to Wildflowers or borrow it from your local library.

Here is a link that might be useful: Database

• janet_e
    18 years ago

I'm pretty sure #5 is Virginia creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia), just a very vigorous specimen. There are some Asian species of parthenocissus, but they are very rarely planted. (I've only seen them at botanical gardens.) If the people who owned the house before you had very adventurous taste in garden plants, then #5 may be an Asian Parthenocissus. Otherwise, it's almost certainly Virginia creeper, which is quite common in Connecticut, both in gardens and in the wild.

#2 looks more like Chelidonium than Stylophorum -- Stylophorum has wider petals. As Judy B. said, it should be easy to tell them apart once the plant develops seeds. You can see the long, skinny capsules of Chelidonium on the photo linked below.

If your plant is Chelidonium, I do not recommend keeping it. It spreads aggressively in gardens. It's also an invasive plant in Connecticut (see http://webapps.lib.uconn.edu/ipane/browsing.cfm?descriptionid=108).

Trillium erectum isn't rare in Connecticut, but it is certainly a nice thing to find!

Here is a link that might be useful: Chelidonium majus

• sugar_peas
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I don't think it's virginia creeper, the leaves on that one get about 1 foot across...that's too big for that isnt' it? it's also not very climbing, just kinda floats on top of the vinca but doens't go up trees and doesn't stick to rock wall or anything and it didn't get any fall color as I recall.
    The previous owner, at least one of them may have been into plants, we have a lot of wonderful shrubs and a gorgeous umbrella pine that I have been told is rather rare. I'm thinking the trillium were planted and are not naturally occuring, because they are in the garden part of yard and I dont' see any on the other side of the wall in the woods. We are 2 miles from UConn campus and they have a strong horticulture dpt and I think a few Professors have lived here (it's 160 yr old house)

I weeded out the Chelidonium tonight... at least the ones that were ready to open in the garden areas... it's eveyrwhere already so may as well not encourage it in my plant beds.

I agree about the Trillium erectum, was a lovely find! I found tons more of the Jack in the Pulpits today too. Now I'll just cross my fingers for some lady slippers ; ) I went to go look at our wet area today but I was in flip flops and saw too much poison ivy starting to leaf out and turned around.

• joepyeweed
    18 years ago

the jacks and trilliums may not be rare but they are definitely desirable to have.

• jillmcm
    18 years ago

Your last one is definitely NOT virginia creeper and does not look like any native vine I am familiar with. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

• jillhudock
    18 years ago

hmmmm, #5 may be this: Sanicula europaea which is not native, but this is just a guess. description I found:

Sanicle is one of the spring-flowering species characteristic of woodland, along with bluebells, primroses, wood sorrel etc. It is frequent across Northern Ireland. It is a perennial species, about a foot high (c. 30 cm) with globular umbels of small white flowers.

Here is a link that might be useful: might be number 5

• waplummer
    18 years ago

#2 looks to me like the native jack - a dark form.
    #5 is not virginia creeper and from the photo it's hard to tell what it might be

• Carole Westgaard
    17 years ago

Trillum experts: I've been a lurker here and you all seem to know a lot about Trilliums. Where do I get them? Can't find a nursery who carries them! Also, anyone know which ones are going to thrive in Zone 5 (northern Illinois). I really want the red ones but they seem to be indigenous to the West. If anyone can help, please email me at cdwestg@comcast.net as I am too busy digging to check in here all the time.

Thank You,
    Westy1941

• pardath
    16 years ago

#2 - Chelidonium majus

Janet's link - You can see the long, skinny capsules of Chelidonium on the photo linked below.

I definately have this plant and was trying to identify it, thank you everyone. I see some don't like its aggressive behaviours but for me it is exactly what I need. I live on a very mature forested lot and this plant is great for those dark/poor soil conditions such as under a mature maple tree and under tall pines. These little beauties grow and thrive in the darndest spots and create a great groundcover.

• ahughes798
    16 years ago

Pardath,

Yes, it is a great groundcover that will choke out everything in it's path.

And it's not native.

• monarda-ca
    16 years ago

Hi,
    I don't know what the name of number 5 is, however I refer to it as 'the weed'. I suspect that it is an introduced species. I clean it out of my garden every spring, before it flowers, but the roots and stems are so tender that I am sure small bits of plant are left behind only to grow again. Last year, I caught my mother growing it in her rock garden (she thought it was a nice plant) and it took me several hours to get rid of it. I have no doubt that I will be at it again in a few weeks. Good Luck.

• seacook
    12 years ago

Westy1941: If you're not averse to online shopping you can do a search for 'red trillium seeds' and results will include places that sell seeds, plants, etc. as well as pages with plant info. Add 'sale' after 'seeds' and it will trim down the results to various nurseries etc. 'red trillium swap' might be helpful too...

Sponsored