Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
does anyone know what this is??

Posted by medontdo 5b Ks (My Page) on
Tue, May 6, 08 at 23:18

i found this beautiful smelling plant growing in the shade and am so curious what it is!! tyia for looking!!

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: does anyone know what this is??

Looks like Garlic Mustard (Alliaria petiolata) to me. Serious invader and dominator (dominatrix?) of North American forests. But supposedly you can make pesto out of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garlic Mustard

o

I agree
it's the dreaded garlic mustard!
I see this stuff in my nightmares- I can't tell you how many I've pulled over the past couple of years.

Here is a link that might be useful: more info about garlic mustard

o

Its a vile weed! Pull it now!

And I am surprised you think it smells nice.. I think it smells nasty.

o

Agree with everyone above. It's an "exotic invasive" - get it out now before the flowers turn to seeds. I was in a beautiful natural area a few weeks ago in the woods of western Virginia and even there it's taken hold amidst the trillium, bleeding hearts, bloodroot and lovely natives. When I first saw it in my yard a couple of years ago, I thought it looked nice & wonderered what it was. Then I learned the truth.

o

yep that's what it is! than you so much!! its in the shade, it hasn't moved for years, so i'm wondering if the shade holds it back from spreading? thank you guys sooo much for respnding so fast!! :'))

o

No, shade does not stop it. Every year I pull lots of Garlic Mustard from my little patch of woods. I compost, but don't put this plant in the compost, instead it goes into a large black garbage bag. The seeds can last of YEARS so it's really hard t o eradicate. It is edible though - put a few leaves on a salad or sandwich.

o

Agree with everything said so far. But want to add that it is a biennial plant, so even if you only see a few flower stalks, there are loads more of the low-growing first year rosettes waiting for the next year to make a drop seed.

It is a devastating plant. Please control it as best you can.

o

I agree with everyone who says this is a nasty invasive plant that should be removed. However, I think I agree with medontdo that the smell is not bad - it does smell like garlic, sort of, and if I didn't dislike the plant so strongly I might actually like the smell. As it is, the smell reminds me of the hours I spend removing the stuff, which is not a pleasant memory (except in spots where I seem to have finally outlasted the Garlic Mustard and no new plants appear in the spring).

o

ladyslppr, isn;t that funny? About the smell, I mean. My hubby and I were out for a walk at our old road, and the garlic mustard was in full bloom. Everywhere. He said: "It would kind of pretty of I didn;t know what it was." Some things are ugly just because of what and where they are, not necessarily how they look. Or smell.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here