SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
macranthos

This Spring's Flowers (Many Photos!)

macranthos
18 years ago

Hi All,

For the past month and a half, since the rains have slowed, it has been wildflower photography season! Here is a month an a half of driving and hiking summarized in a short (long) post. This post mostly contains native plants (with a few exceptions) most of which are native orchids & their neighbors. (All photos are my own and are not to be used without my consent.) Enjoy!

The spring started out very wet in March & April and my camera doesnt do well in low light. Here are some shots of a very common but often overlooked orchid, Listera cordata, both the green and red forms.

{{gwi:1059015}}

{{gwi:1059016}}

A private garden in the Portland area has several species of orchids as well as many interesting plants from around the world. These shots were from mid May.

Cypripedium flavum from China(excuse the poor quality).

{{gwi:1059017}}

A spot leafed Cyp species from China, C margariteceum, that is quite rare in cultivation here in the US.

{{gwi:1059018}}

A Cyp parviflorum var. pubescens native to much of the US and Canada.

{{gwi:1059019}}

Kalmiopsis leacheriana, a rare native only to the Siskiyou Mtn region of Southern OR and Northern CA. Excuse the poor quality.

{{gwi:1059021}}

Two Orchis species native to Europe. Is it just me or do they look like singing octopi?

{{gwi:1059023}}

Last a Vireya Rhododendron that smells like heavan.

The East side of Mount Hood is suited well to orchids as well as some other interesting plants not commonly seen here on the Western Side.

Cypripedium montanum, the mountain lady slipper is considered quite rare here and is on its way to the threatened species list.

I wish there were more clumps like this one around.

{{gwi:1059028}}

Calypso bulbosa occidentalis, the fairy slipper (western version) is noted to be a different variety than the eastern and eurasian varieties primarily due to itÂs lack of yellow coloration on the lip (I think)

{{gwi:1059029}}

A very white form that was one in the thousands that we saw.

{{gwi:1059030}}

A Corallorhiza striata that grows without chlorophyll.

{{gwi:1059031}}

A neat Delphinum (nuttalii?).

{{gwi:1059032}}

And last a single plant and a colony of Listera convallarioides so numerous it was impossible to step within 10 feet of the densest part.

{{gwi:1059033}}

{{gwi:1059035}}

Over this past weekend, we took a trip to Southern Oregon in the Siskiyou region. Too much poison oak and a bear taking our food were a few of the highlights, but the orchids still produced!

A common Goodyera oblongifolia with good patterning.

{{gwi:1059036}}

A thick stand of some sort of Platanthera (Possibly hyperborea? I can never ID the little green ones. Help?) and a lone raceme.

{{gwi:1059038}}

{{gwi:1059040}}

The western azalea, Rhododendron occidentale, were smelling wonderful as we made our way through the serpentine wet land.

{{gwi:1059042}}

The California Pitcher plant, Darlingtonia californica, is a strange and rare sighting. Here are the flower, and the pitcher.

{{gwi:1059044}}

Here is Lisa in a sloped field of Darlingtonia. The ground is sand & grit with large rocks every few feet. A constant amount of water is running over the ground.

{{gwi:1059047}}

And the Highlight of our trip, Cypripedium californicum, the California lady slipper, endemic to small regions in Southern OR and Northern CA and definitely not common in its range, though in areas like these, hundreds of plants may be counted :-) :-) :-) :-)

{{gwi:1059049}}

This Cyp is known for its multiflorous behavior.

{{gwi:1059051}}

Lots of flowers on every clump!

{{gwi:1059053}}

And last, a picture looking up the hill to the wet serpentine meadow with many Darlingtonia and clumps of Cyp californicum.

{{gwi:1059056}}

Best,

Ross

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting