SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rutgers1_gw

Is this a good idea for markng where seeds were planted?

rutgers1
15 years ago

I am a teacher, and we have a native garden in the back of the school. I try to keep each type of flower separate so that it makes it a bit easier for me to identify everything (they are marked) and remove weeds. This is particularly helpful since I am totally new to all of this.

I am writing because I am going to purchase and grow some plants from seed. My main challenge is that I mulch somewhat heavily and am concerned that the plants won't come through, or that I will pull them thinking they are weeds. Therefore, I thought that perhaps I could take an old container that flowers came in, cut out the bottom 3/4, sink it into the ground with the top inch exposed, remove the mulch from it, and then plant the seeds. This would provide a defined area where the mulch was cleared and seeds dropped. In theory, when the seeds sprout, I would be able to pull up the container and lightly mulch around them. I thought it would also give the kids a focal point when they are viewing the early weeks of the plant.

Does this sound like a good plan?

Comments (2)

Sponsored