Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Meaning

Posted by opsy135 none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 5:29

Native Plants is a term to describe plants endemic (indigenous) or naturalized to a given area in geologic time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Meaning

Some would question that part of this definition which holds that species which have become naturalized in a given area can become "native". There's shades of gray here. For example, something like water lettuce, which has been in S. Florida since the 1500s has "become" native in some people's minds, although it got there courtesy of Spanish explorers-just a long time ago.

And then there's the simple, yet oft-ignored fact that nature isn't static. Even without human interference, species have moved to and colonized new areas for millions of years. I'm reminded of the formation of new volcanic islands off the coast of SE Alaska. Featuring fertile soil and a blank slate so far as vegetation is concerned, such locations have been known to get colonized by coniferous tree species very readily. Should we decry this because the "native" condition was one of bare rock and ashy soil? I think most would agree, no we should not. There are tougher examples out there than this one though.

+oM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here