SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
isabella__ma

Pokeweed and Japanese Knotweed

isabella__MA
14 years ago

Hi All,

I used to have some pokeweed growing around the house and in a wild area bordering wetlands. I noticed the pokeberries, so I assumed that all of the other plants were also PW. With time the PW berries stopped coming and I noticed the flowers changed as well. I thought it was simply lack of sun stopping fruit from setting. Ater attending a local green day fair I realized that my PW stand had long ago been taken over by Japanese Knotweed. I guess I didn't pay too close of attention to the changing leaf, which was another clue too. That happened in one stand of PW on a slope in my wild area. I also had a lone PW growing by the road and front side garden, which I have used as part of the landscape design. This year I noticed that in the PW's place I got JKW growing. For the last few years the PW was there, as ID'd by the pokeberries.

Is this a phenomena very common? It would appear that both plants are opportunistic plants in the succession scheme of re-vegettaion of open lands.

I have now undertaken JKW control by mechnical means, which is an on-going weekly afair with a machette.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm