Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rain garden plant selection

Posted by paulsiu IL (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 7, 11 at 8:56

I have one area where water floods a lot when there is heavy rain. I was thinking that this is exactly what a rain graden would be.

For plants in a rain garden, we need plants that can withstand being dry and also being submerged (at least for a few days)? How do I figure out which plant can stand these conditions?

Thanks.

Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rain garden plant selection

Try googling "rain garden plants in Illinois" and see what you come up with.

o

I did google it and actually installed a couple of those plants like Dog tooth Daisy (Helenium autumnale), Queen of the Prairie, Cardinal flowers, and great blue lobelia. After the area got hit with water, all of the plants gave up the ghost except for the great blue lobelia. May be they're flood resistant only after they are established?

Paul

o

Well, try some different things. Cardinal flower should have been fine, but perhaps it died for another reason.

o

Hi Paulsia. That is indeed the challenge for these types of plantings.....the need for the selected species to be able to withstand a lot of "bounce" in water levels, from inundation to hot and dry. There are really a lot of plants that have been recommended for this usage. Just a couple more for you to consider/try: Sweet flag-Acorus calamus, Iris virginica, Marsh marigold-Caltha palustris, Carex (sedge) species of many types, Polygonum amphibium-water smartweed............oh, was that more than a couple?

+oM

o

Most plants will not stand a deluge of water until their roots get firmly established. Try to start with mature good sized plants. wisconsitom's suggestions are good ones. Try doing a google search for native bog plants for more ideas.

o

Sounds like you want some hardy, drought tolerant rain garden plants. Check out MyRunoff.org's free Rain Garden Bot. It can help you find drought tolerant plants that can also withstand occasional standing water.

Here is a link that might be useful: MyRunoff.org's Rain Garden Bot

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here