Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spot too wet for Lady's slipper?

Posted by valray z4 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 2, 09 at 9:11

Two years ago, I transplanted a yellow lady's slipper from a clump on one spot on my property to another near my pond. The soil is quite moist in the spring and I thought it would thrive. However, last spring and again this spring, when the plant is about 6" tall, the stem has been damaged by a slug or ? about an inch above the soil and the plant has keeled over before getting very big or blooming. My concern is that the plant is being weakened by the energy of putting up the stem but not growing very long. Should I dig it up now and move it to a drier spot? Wait for another year and protect it? Will it send up a new growing shoot at this point or is it a once-a-year thing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spot too wet for Lady's slipper?

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 3, 09 at 10:42

It is once a year.

When a plant uses energy to produce stems, leaves, fruit, etc.. but sees no return on this through photosynthesis, increased root development etc. the cost of production outweighs its return and they are weakened. Racoons trampled one of my larger clumps last spring and they didn't flower this year for the first time in many years.

Both large and small yellow ladyslipper likes evenly moist, rich/organic but freely draining soil, think loose, aerated. ph around 6. I use a mix of sand, a little perlite and compost/peat moss. If its roots stay wet for too long too often they will rot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here