Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wildflower easement seeding

Posted by new2zone9a (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 23, 10 at 12:32

Hi. I"m new to zone 9a Tampa bay area of Florida.

The front of my new place is boring. I want to plant the full sun easement along the street which is about 100 plus ft by 10 ft with wildflowers or something. I'd comsider going either with one species or a mixed variety. I'd like to plant something by seed that blooms a lot yet looks at least interesting when not in bloom. Grows to about a foot max or mowable. Preferably drought resistant or can handle just a once a week watering when under restriction. And easy to care for, of course.

Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wildflower easement seeding

I'm not familiar enough with what is good for your zone. A good native plant/seed company that serves your zone should have something. A local native plant society might also be able to help. I would consider a mix so that if one species doesn't have the ability to make it there, hopefully the others do. Another thought is some sort of native ground cover. Best of luck.

o

Good luck if you live in some deed-restricted community! Those people will tell you to kill those weeds!

o

Hi new2zone9a,

I'm not all that familiar with plants in your Zone, but you might want to try the Florida Native Plant Society (see link below).

On their website, if you go under the menu on the left side and click the "Planting Natives" option and then select "Plants For Your Area" from the fly-out/drop down menu, it will bring up a map where you can click on your county in Florida and see the recommended native plants for that region.

Good luck with your seeding!

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Native Plant Society

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here