Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
are these natives or escaped old domestic plants?

Posted by jacqueline3 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 12:44

I took these 2 pics along a road near our cabin in No Cal, about 3500 ft up, near a large creek. This area was way more heavily populated in the mid & late 19th century (gold rush) than it is now.

The first one looks like fox gloves to me, but I would like to know if it is a garden escapee or a native.

I will post a pic of the second one next.

Thanks for your help!

Jackie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: are these natives or escaped old domestic plants?

Here is the second one - looks like some kind of dianthus to me, but again I would like to know if it is a native or an escapee. Smells faintly of carnations.

Jackie

o

Yes the first one is foxglove and the second one is Sweet William. It is in the dianthus family. both are biennial and keep going by self-sowing. Pretty pics!

o

Both are garden escapes

o

Thank you both for the IDs and the answer to my question.

It amazes me how old garden plants from the gold rush times have survived in this area - I have found several others, way far away from any current homes. Just a reminder that if you plant plants which like the conditions, they do not need any plant food, spraying, mulching (since the forest mulches itself), pruning or other fussing to thrive. Also, this area only gets rain or snow perhaps 3-4 months of the year - the other months are 100% dry, so no irrigating required either!

Of course there are natives which thrive here also - I have found some pretty wild lilies and roses. But it is the escaped garden plants that fascinate me, being sort of leftover ghosts from when this area was a thriving, busy, well populated place in the mid and late 19th century.

Jackie

o

Nice post Jackie, and a nice reminder that every non-native plant is not somehow a problem. At least, I don't think so!

+oM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here