Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Common Milkweed

Are these pic's recent?
Mine are not blooming yet.

o

bob, I took these this past weekend. I live in TN,
so mine may be a few days ahead of yours.

o

Stunning photos! I have one plant blooming now with 4 stalks and 17 blossoms, it looks a lot like yours. I got it for free when I rescued an azalea and it has been a lovely bonus.

Thanks for sharing these pictures.

o

I wonder if these pics show Asclepias variegata (White Milkweed) not Asclepias syriaca (COmmon Milkweed). Common Milkweed has pink flowers that are not at the tops of the stems but rather emerge from just above a leaf along the sides of the stem. White Milkweed, which is generally a rarer plant, looks like what you have shown in the great photos.

o

I was thinking that those were not common milkweed, but I didn't know which one it was. There are so many different species of milkweed and even some cultivars, I wan't about to try and figure out which one it was.

But I agree with ladyslipper, common milkweed blooms along the stem and not at the top of the plant.

Great pics...

o

I had identified mine as asclepias variegata actually.

o

I guess TN is a bit ahead of NY with the milkweeds and the cute little cat's that crawl on them. Something for me to look forward to in the near future.

Thanks for posting the pic's.

o

ladyslppr,

Thanks for that correction. I wondered why I couldn't
find a picture of Common Milkweed that looked exactly
like mine. I'll have another one for you to identify
in a few days when the flower opens completely. It
looks a lot like Queen Anne's Lace.

o

I just noticed a plant yesterday that I believe is milkweed. I hope it is, I cant wait until it blooms.

YEAH People 1 garlic mustard weed 0
it pays to pull.

o

beautiful pics! mine is just about to bloom.

o

Ok, now I want A. variegata. Its foliage looks much lusher & darker than my A. syriaca. Is it as fragrant? I wish I could get the butterflies to lay eggs on mine. They seem to be interested only in gathering nectar.

o

entling,

I love the dark stems and leaves, and the flowers
are fascinating. They're not as fragrant as they
look, but they still smell good.

o

Milkweed is so lovely. :) The wild ones we have here at our lovely little pond (which gets so much abuse but still seems to thrive despite it) seem to be more purple and red than that nice white. I've always thought milkweed to be toxic, and apparently it is until it's cooked- the shoots and the leaves can be cooked green so it's not bitter anymore upon boiling- also, the flowers can be dipped into batter and eaten like a fritter. lol

But they're so beautiful... one wouldn't want to snag too much of it for food.

o

I have a butterfly garden which needs more host plants for monarchs.
Is there a chance I could trade for seeds of this species?
It is at the top of my wish list.

I grow quite a few native Clematis species and have other items to trade as well.
Thanks.

o

carol23,
I'd be happy to collect some seed pods for you this
fall. Just e-mail your mailing address to me.

o

ctnchpr, I have no way to contact you via Gardenweb. You don't have an e-mail set up on your member page. I would love to have seed.
Thank you.

o

Where would one get some milkweed to plant.
Peter

o

carol, did you get my e-mail? I received yours.

peter, I can't find your e-mail address.

o

You have to email him through his journal page:
http://hortiplex.gardenweb.com/jour/gamekeeper

I don't know why they make this so hard to find on some member pages; it really is inconsistent!

o

I would very much like seeds of this kind of milkweed to plant for butterflies and just its beauty!

I could send an SASE or offer a trade or...

Thanks!

Matt

o

Near the back of my yard is a field and growing at the edge is something that I had always thought was milkweed. The flower is small and spread out in an almost flat head, but not as full as what is shown. When you break a leaf off you get a milky sap. But instead of a boat shaped seed pod, it has one more like a bean. Is this a type of milkweed?

o

I agree, this is a very beautiful Milkweed, I would love to have a few seeds too. Please send an email if this is possible Ctnchpr.

I have seeds from other Milkweeds to trade - Asclepias incarnata (Swamp milkweed) both the species and cultivar 'Ice Ballet', also have some pods ripening on the Asclepias tuberosa 'Gay Butterflies'.

o

sweetkountry,

the plant you are describing is dogbane, Apocynum.

I also can offer other milkweed seeds in a trade.

Thanks!

Matt

o

Matt & terrene,

You have e-mail.

o

Thanks MPSmith! I found some pictures of Dogbane online and that is definately it. When you talk about trading for seeds were you referring to me?

o

ctnchpr,
I was reading the threads on this forum and came across your pictures. Absolutely stunning! I would be interested in seeds also. You can email me with info on how to contact you if you go to my page. I will gladly send you a sase envelope. I may have seeds you would like as I have Hello Yellow Tuberosa, Scarlet and Gold Curavassica, and 2 colors of incarnata, one lavender and one pink.

I am a Monarch Waystation and raise Monarchs from the eggs I harvest on the Asclepias. Thanks so much.

o

ctnchpr,
My email is butterflymombixby at yahoo dot com.

Thanks,

Sandy

o
Re: Common Milkweed

Hi ctnchpr,

I would love to get seeds of this species as well... I've actually been looking for it for a while! Please email me if you are able to send some - I have "real" :) Common Milkweed about to set seed, if you want some of those. Also, I'd be fine waiting til next year, too. Thanks much!

God bless,
Jeff

o

Hi Ctnchpr, I did not get your email (could be I accidentally adeleted it with the spam?) but could you email again. Thanks.

o

And y'all with common milkweed know you can eat it, right? Yummmm.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here