Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can anybody help identify this plant

Posted by AnthonySMich Michigan (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 27, 12 at 13:25

This weed/plant/tree??? has grown to over 6-7ft in 2 months. Can anybody help identify it. I've got three of them growing out of nowhere in different spots over 30 feet away from each other with one in the shade of a big oak tree, another in a section of brush and this one next to the house. Leaves are as big as my hand and the "flowers" look like they might turn into berries but not sure yet as they are still small.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can anybody help identify this plant

Here is the budding flowery part.

o

Here is the base of the same plant. The texture is waxy/rubbery almost very dense. Leaves are smooth. The stumps at the bottom are not part of it, it just grew next to them.

o

Pokeweed, (Phytolacca americana.) A native indeed but not well-behaved enough for most gardeners to keep it.

Hard to dig out the huge, long root but boiling water will kill it after you cut off the top part, should you choose to be rid of it.

o

It is herbaceous, meaning it dies down to the ground in winter so it won't grow bigger in following years than it already is. They are a cool looking plant if you have the right space for it.

FataMorgana

o

I was told it was great food for birds flying south for the winter, so I leave one each year. Have to admit it overpowers the other things near it!

o

Almost everyone who wants their plant ID'd likes it. Amazing the power of being told it's a weed. If you keep it and have kids, make sure to tell them not to play with the berries and definitely don't eat them.

o

I don't have poke that grows at my place but I do have lots of Bittersweet Nightshade (Solanum dulcamara). I remove it from gardens, but I didn't go nuts (as many do) when my kids were tiny trying to nuke it and "protect them" from it. It provided a good teaching tool for berries that look edible but are not. I made sure they knew exactly what it looked like - just seeing it helped reinforce plant safety lessons. Poke can also provide that same learning and teaching experience.

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here