Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small Evergreen Tree Suggestions

Posted by scbnymph z5 NY (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 23, 06 at 13:31

Afternoon All.....

Could you recommend a smallish (c. 15 - 30ft) evergreen tree which I can place next to my new deck?? I would obviously like it to be native but don't care if it is native to the area, state or country. Ideally I would like it to provide a nesting site for birds and/or provide them with food during the winter months

I am in z5 NY. The site is towards the bottom of an incline/small hill but doesn't sit in water like at the very bottom. The site is south facing and so receives full sun all day. The soil is clay and is currently covered with weedy grass, it has NEVER been amended with anything

Thanks for your help
Claire

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small Evergreen Tree Suggestions

I like American Holly. It grows rather slowly, but it grows as a nice, pyramidal tree, has berries that birds eat (generally waiting until winter to eat them), and it makes nice christmas decorations. You should probably plant two - a male and a female - to make sure you get verries on the female. If you plant two about 5 or 10 feet apart they will grow into a single shape. If you plant more than two, you need only one male for each 4 or 5 females.

Under a holly is not a great place to grow things - the hollys have shallow roots, I think. A layer of mulch would keep down weeds and maybe you could find some wildflowers that would thrive there.

o

Thx Ladyslppr.....American Holly sounds like a nice suggestion, the berries would certainly be appreciated I would think. I 've been looking into Dwarf Pines also

o

American holly is a beautiful tree but you wont be walking barefoot around your deck too much,at least not anywhere near that tree.The summer leafdrop is very painly to walk on.My favorite slow growing longlived native evergreen by far is the Eastern red ceader,Juniperus virginiana.Many beautiful cultivars available.Easy to transplant from the wild.

o

NYWoodsman.....Thank you for the heads-up re. the leaf drop on the Holly, I hadn't considered that. Since there will likely be a lot of bare feet walking in that area I will have to find a place for the Holly elsewhere in the garden.

Eastern Red Cedar huh! I had been looking at Junipers but wasn't completely sure if they were native and also am hesitant as I don't want a tree that will eventually get to 700ft tall!!! Now I think I will make a strong effort to find a suitable Juniper for my site. What exactly is termed slow growing??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here