Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yank Lupine and Poppies?

Posted by raymondo17 z9 Sacramento (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 20, 08 at 13:33

I planted some Lupine and Poppies and other California native flowers in an area that receives no irrigation besides winter rains and the occasional drink of water from a neighbor. The plants put on a lovely spring show but are now dried up. Should they be yanked out? Are Lupine and Poppies annuals or perennials? Any suggestions for plants to replace them in that spot for the summer?

-Ray

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yank Lupine and Poppies?

If you planted locally native plants in the right conditions they should come back next year. At any rate, I wouldn't yank them, against the possibility that they have just gone dormant for the dry, hot season. Wait and see, wait and see...

o

The poppies are annuals, and they are very good at self-seeding. I cleaned mine out - they just get really ratty looking towards the end. They'll be back next year, I'm sure.

o

The poppies don't have to be yanked out, but you can pull them if they are dead. Some poppies are annuals, which bloom, set seeds, then completely die each year, but others are, I think perennial, so if some of the poppies have green leaves, even if just at the base, I would leave them. You could trim them back to the base to make them look neater, if you like. I am not sure about the lupines - there are many types.

o

If they're shrubby lupines, then they're perennial, if they were not shrubby, then they could be perennial or annual. You might do a google search on lupines to see which kind(s) you have. The seed pods spring open and send the seeds flying. If you've got a kind that's happy with your spot, you should have lots of them come up every year, as long as they don't meet public enemies #1 & #2, slug/snails and gophers.

Some california poppies can be short-lived perennials (2 or 3 years), and prickly poppies can be either annual or perennial, but most are annual (especially in wildflower mixes).

--Ron

o

If you have perrenial lupine, cut them back after blossoming. You can potentially get a second flush of blossoms. I cut mine back quite a bit, and the foliage is growing out nicely.

I grow several types of poppy. The oriental poppy die back after blossoming and leave a hole in the garden. I cut them at the base and they do come back next year. Plant annuals around them to fill in the area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here