Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wanted: vigorous and sweet-smelling native creeper

Posted by greentreetea 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 20, 12 at 13:35

Hi,

I am looking for a vigorous and sweet-smelling native creeper to plant next to our deck to cover it eventually. Flower size, shape and color don't really matter too much - quick growth and sweet blooms are my primary concerns.

What are my options (if any) or would I be better off going for a non-native plant in this regard?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wanted: vigorous and sweet-smelling native creeper

The commercial Honeysuckle vines come to mind. They seem to use native stock, are vigorous, and have spectacular blooms.

o

The sempervirens cultivars that I've run into (including the one I have)have no scent, though. They're great, covered with flowers for months, but no sweet honeysuckle smell - you only get that with the thuggish Japanese honeysuckle. I used to have dioica (sp?), and that had a slight smell, but no repeat bloom. Canandensis is shrubby and has no or little scent. Anyone grow the others?

o

Thanks for the replies. I will do some checking around the nurseries in my area.

As a complete aside: will Jasmine grow in my area?

o

Did you say what area you are in?

Are you asking about true jasmine or carolina jasmine et al?

Carolina Jasmine is not a true jasmine (is a Gelsemium instead) and the flower nectar is toxic to bees, not recommended as our bees are already in trouble!

Autumn clematis is one of my favorites (C. paniculata is a nice sweet smelling non toxic viney plant with lovely white flowers late summer-fall in most areas of the country)

o

Clematis terniflora (Sweet autumn clematis) is a non-native. It is also invasive in many areas, including my own.

o

Carolina Jasmine is not a true jasmine (is a Gelsemium instead) and the flower nectar is toxic to bees

I believe the correct description is toxic to HONEY bees which are non-native bees. It is not toxic to native bees who evolved with it.

And even the honey bees are only affected in mostly small amounts unless they happen to take it back to the hive.

o

Commercial honeybees are hybrids, usually based on Italian strains ie, not native.

Most nectar is carried back to the hive.

o

How about phlox divaricata? It smells great, (esp. 'Blue Moon') and spreads reasonably quickly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here