Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where can I find a Wild Sensitive Plant in Connecticut (hiking)?

Posted by jasonfest (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 13:46

Hi. My boyfriend has been telling me about this interesting plant that folds its leaves if touched. I did not immediately believe him.

I read that this species is native to Connecticut. I would love to see this remarkable plant. Does anyone know where it grows? I hike fairly often and would like to lightly brush a plant to see it in action.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where can I find a Wild Sensitive Plant in Connecticut (hikin

The name sensitive plant is usually applied to members of the genus Mimosa, none of which are known to occur in CT. Did this source give a scientific name?

o

Chamaecrista nictitans

o

That helps. We don't get that species this far north, but it appears to be widely distributed in CT and parts of southern NY. It appears to favor thin, dry, acid soils, so places that are sandy or gravelly would be good places to look.

You might want to get involved with the Connecticut Botanical Society. No doubt some of their members know of locations to see it. They even do field trips throughout the year.

Mimosa pudica does the same thing and the seeds are pretty easy to find. They can sometimes be a little stubborn to germinate but once they do it's a pretty easy plant to grow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Connecticut Botanical Society

o

Thank you for the wealth of information.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here