Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
penstemon dying

Posted by utzybuzzy z7MD (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 14:00

They're native ones just turning brown. Should I cut them back or are they dead? They are new this year and planted as plants. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: penstemon dying

Hard to say without more info as to species and conditions. Hot weather can cause the flower stalks to turn brown while the roots themselves are perfectly fine.

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 11:00

Most western penstemon languising in eastern wetter gardens, start tanking about now...with heat, wet, and humidity.

Hopefully you have a species adapted to the east coast.

o

I bought the plants at a local native sale at a park and they're supposed to be right for the area. Should I cut them back or just let them be like all my other natives that have seen their day for their season? I haven't cut any back nor thinned them out.

o

Cutting back-or not-will have minimal impact on the outcome for these plants. Do you have Penstemon digitalis? This white-flowered form is the one in bloom around here right now. I don't know that I've ever seen it brown up following bloom time, but I'm sure enough heat and drought could do that. Yet, I doubt you're experiencing either weather condition at this time. Hmmm?

BTW, the beardstongue, or Penstemon digitalis, considered native around here is quite likely actually native to areas to our south, having moved north with the clearing of land, farming, etc. IOWs, a native which is probably not native! Nice plants though.

+oM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here