Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are all wild grape edible?

Posted by blueridgemtngrl 6b (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 8, 08 at 14:08

By edible, I mean they won't hurt you even if they don't taste good. I understand not all are palatable to humans.

I definitely have grapes growing (pretty sure they aren't muscadines :( and would like to check them out in the fall when they ripen. I've posted pics of the leaves but haven't been able to get an ID other than they are grapes.

Thanks!

Blue Ridge Mountain Girl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are all wild grape edible?

If they are grapes, they should be edible. I suggest you check the seeds inside the fruit and compare them to other grapes. There are a few climbing plants that grow in the same area. They make blue fruit, but the seed inside is not grape-like.

o

Some sources warn against confusing moonseed, Menispermum canadense, with grapes. Moonseed is very poisonous but has only a single distinctive crescent moon shaped seed in each fruit. I think the plant looks very different than a grape.....but it really depends on how familiar you are with wild plants. Check and make sure you can tell the differences. Wild grapes have more than one seed in most fruits and they are not shaped at all like the seeds of the moonseed plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moonseed drawing, etc.

o

Heres a link for grapes so you can see what they look like and a link below to compare with moonseed.
grape leaves have toothed edges, moon seed doesnt.Grapes grow in downward clusters, it shows moonseed growing in very small bunches.

Here is a link that might be useful: grapes

o
moonseed

They do look very much like grapes. Scroll down for the picture.

here are the leaves.
http://www.biology.duke.edu/dnhs/pics/Moonseed.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: moonseed fruit

o

You likely have found Fox Grapes. They are wild and used to be plentiful along the Blue Ridge. They make delicious jelly and are dark red, strongly flavored grapes, generally growing on vines way up in the trees. GREAT jelly!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here