SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spat72

Drying seeds?

spat72
15 years ago

I have collected aproximatly 1,000 dandelion seeds and would like to know how I should store them for later use. Also do they need any chilling/over wintering before sowing? How soon/late can you sow them? are there any general rule of thumbs for these issues related to natives and wild flowers? What wild grasses should I look for to mix with wildflowers? I am in SC with a red clay soil. The area gets flooded by runoff in heavy rains but no standing water.

I want to start a strip of meadow like area in the back yard. Separating a steep bank with mixed trees and vines from the rest of my yard. The meadow needs to tolerate some foot traffic for the access of the steep bank for annual prunning. The bank is covered with many vines such as trumpet creeper, lady banks rose, kudzu, smilax, missletoe, wild brambles, a vine that looks like muscadine but I have yet to see that fruit I love so much. One of my neighbors told me it was muscadine but I can't seem to be able to ID it. There is also poison ivy and a hole bunch of other unidentified plants. The vines are always chocking out the trees so I try to keep them just to the point of survival. I don't over do it for 2 reasons. The steep bank is part of an abandoned commercial property (not mine) and the soil needs something for erosion control. I may try to slowly ease the wildflowers up the bank once the area is established. I am hoping to get community envolvment to turn that property into a park or green space but so far nobody seems to care of such things. I think they rather see the placed rebuilt as a new shopping center so they can drive a 1/4 or 1/2 mile to go shopping rather than 2 or 3 miles.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm