Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are these plants in pic?

Posted by skippymud NYState z6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 14:45

Hi Folks, We live in lower hudson valley NY, zone 6. In pic, the leaves are velvety soft, the plant currently stands about 6.5ft tall and grows fast fast fast. We don't remember these from last year...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are these plants in pic?

• Posted by kchd 7b Mississippi (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 16:18

It is hard for me to tell definitively from the photo, but my best guess is common mullein (Verbascum thapsus) based on your description. You could do a search for common mullein and see if that looks like the plant you have.

Here is a link that might be useful: Common mullein

o

Unreal! Thanks kchd! I believe you are right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verbascum_thapsus

o

Hi kchd,

I have included a close-up of the buds. Mullein?

Ken

o

• Posted by kchd 7b Mississippi (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 20:18

It sure does look like common mullein! Too bad it's a naughty invasive. You could always use those velvety leaves for toilet paper [chuckle]

o

Common mullein is biennial for me. The first year plants are large silver gray rosettes; the corncob blooms come the second year. We have a stone wall built by early inhabitants of our 1830 house (that's old in Indiana). The wall retains our yard but the land drops off sharply behind it. It is visible from a good distance away from the other side of a half acre pond. When things work out the way I want there are a variety of hardy geraniums at the foot of the 6+ foot tall wall with a few rudbeckia triloba also biennial scattered along and somewhere in the 15 foot long wall picture one or two mullein. In special falls Virginia Creeper
turns cordovan red where it hangs over the top of the wall.

I've tried some of the cultivated verbascums but none of them are as impressive as common mullein.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here