Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tall yellow flower

Posted by hcc1937 z7VA (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 14, 08 at 14:59

A friend gave me a plant that she says is very invasive but has beautiful yellow flowers on long stems. I would love to plant it but would like to know what it is.
Please help.
hcc in Virginia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tall yellow flower

Is it possible to get a pic? There are lots of tall yellow flowers in cultivation, and in the wild...some native, and some introduced.

The Connecticut Botanical Society has a site (though you aren't on Conn) that shows the wildflowers by colors.

Possibly you can find it or something similar there.

My guess is that it might be a Solidago (Goldenrod)...which is quite pretty but also very prolific.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Connecticut Botanical Society Wildflowers

o

At least (if you can't get a picture), describe the leaves: how long, how are they arranged (alternate or opposite on the stem), serrated or not, hairy or not, etc.

And can you describe the flower?

o

If they're "Sundrops" they are definitely very vigorous spreaders. I yank and relocate them from May through Fall particularly out of patches of 35 year old Iris beds.

Just move a little dirt with my hands, plunk Oenothera into ground, cover it over and it doesn't miss a beat even when moved in full bloom.

They "travel" by seed although the underground route seems to be their favored method of spreading quite aggressively.

My father got a couple from a co-worker many years ago and neither of them knew what the plant was/is but liked the sunny yellow flowers that are prodigious.

They're said to be "controlled" by other plants crowding them out but they succeeded in keeping sunlight from an azalea for enough years that it's a tiny little thing after 35 years at my father's. I kept the Oenthera clear of it for past two years and it finally got a few blooms this spring.

The Iris invaded by Sundrops desperately need to be dug up and divided and I know the Sundrops will come up with all the landscape cloth that was installed in '79 when the house was built but I also know they'll survive underground and come back in that same place.

The Iris came from my granfather's little city garden and were there for 30+ years so they're exceptionally old, hardy Bearded Iris.

I'm transferring Oenothera as they spread out of control to a wild side of the property that gets dappled shade. My father couldn't believe they continued to bloom after my scanty replanting effort.

Here is a link that might be useful: oenothera tetragona

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here